The Library, Archives and Records Section (LARS) is part of the Logistics and Technical Information Division. LARS oversees the Laboratory’s records to ensure compliance with the NASA prime contract and provides cost-effective, customer-focused services that deliver useful internal and external information so that JPL projects, programs and line organizations have the information they need to fulfill the Laboratory’s mission. Further details are in the Section Charter.
Our current strategic approach is threefold, focusing on:
- People (expanding or roles to meet users’ needs, and embracing collaboration within and beyond JPL)
- Digital Collections (aiming to, within the next 5 years, launch full electronic records management and to double our digital archives collection)
- Access to Internal Information (in collaboration with IT and other partners, provide easy, broader access to JPL’s wealth of internal information).
The Library and Archive collections are in Building 111. Our HUB Information Commons is available any time to JPLers with badge access, see below.
The JPL Library is open to outside visitors. External visitors should contact the Reference Desk to set up a visit. You will need to provide information to be cleared through JPL Visitor Control.
The Section’s website is BEACON – your Bibliographic Electronic Access CONnection!
- Visit our Borrowing Books page for circulation policies.
- View a virtual tour and FAQ of our remodeled collaboration space “The HUB.”
The JPL Archives is open to the public by appointment. Researchers planning a visit must notify the Reference Desk of their research topic in advance by calling (818)-354-4200. For more information on setting up an Archives visit please see our About the Archives page.
JPL Records Management Services and Engineering Document Services are available only to JPL employees. Internal users can visit the Records Management Group page for more information on services available.
The Library and Archives are staffed from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on working Fridays.
Badged access to the Library HUB Information Commons and print collections is offered 24/7 to JPLers.
The Library, Archives, and Records Section is closed on the JPL regular Friday off.
Library and Archives Reference
Building 111, West End
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109