Open access means unrestricted online-access to scholarly research papers. It has been a growing phenomenon for the past 15 to 2o years. Within the last couple years, several professional organizations and publishers in the science and technology fields have either started brand new ones or converted one or more of their journals into full open access. Following is a short list of relevant open access journals for JPL scientists, technologists, and engineers.
From AGU (American Geophysics Union)
- Earth’s Future 2013 to present, a transdisciplinary journal exploring global change and sustainability.
- Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems (JAMES) 2009 to present, it publishes research related to climate science, especially the development of numerical methods, model parameterizations, and data assimilation methods for Earth system modeling.
From AIP (American Institute of Physics)
- AIP Advances, 2011 to present. It covers all areas of physical sciences in applied, theoretical and experimental research.
From APS (American Physical Society)
- Physics Review X (PRX), 2013 o present, PRX’s mission is to bring innovative and important results to the broad science and engineering communities under its open access publishing model.
Copernicus Publishing and the European Geoscience Union
- Atmospheric Chemistry & Physics (ACP) and Atmospheric Chemistry & Physics Discussion (ACPD), began in 2001, becomes fully open access recently. It publishes studies and discussions on Earth’s atmosphere and the underlying chemical and physical processes.
- IEEE Access, 2013 to present, A rapid-decision, open access mega journal spanning all IEEE fields of interest.
- IEEE Photonic Journal, 2012 to present.
- IEEE Transactions on Emergigng Topics in Computing, 2014. Some examples of emerging topics in computing include: IT for Green, Advanced analytics, Social/occupational computing, Location-based/client computer systems, Morphic computer design, etc.
IOP (Institute of Physics)
- New Journal of Physics (NJP): the open access journal at the frontier of physics. Began in 1999, NJP becomes a fully open access journal recently.
- Environmental Research Letters, 2006 to present.
Nature Publishing Group
- Scientific Reports, 2013 to present. Fully open access, Scientific Reports is a primary research publication from the publishers of Nature, covering all areas of the natural and clinical sciences.
- Scientific Data, began in 2014, description of scientifically valuable datasets.
OSA (Optical Society of America)
- Optical Materials Express, 2011 to present. The journal primarily emphasizes advances in novel optical materials.
Some of these journals requires authors to pay certain fees in order to make the articles/journal open-access to all. To find out more about publishing in open access journals or the whole open-access movement for scholarly journals, please contact library reference desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can leave your comments below.