July 8th, 2014
Following is a list of electronic books on the various aspects of geology. Click on the titles to read online or download it for later reading.
- History of Hydrogeology, 2013
- A Guide to Field Instrumentation in Geotechnics: Principles, Installation and Reading, 2012
- Handbook of Tropical Residual Soils Engineering, 2012
- Mechanics of Residual Soils, Second Edition, 2012
- Practical Engineering Geology, 2012
- Working on Mars: Voyages of Scientific Discovery with the Mars Exploration Rovers, 2012
- Rock Engineering Design, 2011
- Meso-Scale Shear Physics in Earthquake and Landslide Mechanics, 2010
- OCEANS 2010, Proceedings 2010
- Dynamics of Surface Waves in Coastal Waters, 2009
- Earth’s Plasmasphere: A CLUSTER and IMAGE Perspective, 2009
- Catastrophic Events Caused by Cosmic Objects, 2008
- From Fossils to Astrobiology: Records of Life on Earth and Search for Extraterrestrial Biosignatures, 2008
- Comet/Asteroid Impacts and Human Society, 2007
- Handbook of Geotechnical Investigation and Design Table, 2007
- High-Frequency Seafloor Acoustics, 2007
- Io After Galileo: a New View of Jupiter’s Volcanic Moon, 2007
- Tectonic Faults: Agents of Change on a Dynamic Earth, 2007
- Geotechnical Investigation Methods, 2006
- Modelling Critical and Catastrophic Phenomena in Geoscience, 2006
- Geotechnical Engineering Investigation Handbook, 2005
- Earth’s Core and Lower Mantle, 2003
- Shared Earth Modeling, 2002
- Jordan Rift Valley, 2001
- Rock Mass Classification, 1999
- Earthquake Proof Design and Active Faults, 1997
- Rock Mechanics on a Geological Base, 1995
Library staff can provide customized lists by topics. All books can be searched and downloaded from within the JPL network. They can then be transferred to mobile devices for later reading. For more questions, contact the Library Reference Desk at Library@jpl.nasa.gov, or call ext 4-4200.
July 7th, 2014
The JPL Library is happy to make the SpringerMaterials database(s) available to all JPL researchers and engineers. It is accessible through the BEACON web site Search page, or directly by typing the following URL: http://www.springermaterials.com
SpringerMaterials is the world’s largest and most comprehensive research platform dedicated to information on materials, their properties and uses. It encompasses all volumes of Landolt-Börnstein New Series, the largest and most respected compilation of data in physics and chemistry founded in 1883, along with a number of unique and specialized databases, including the following:
- The Landolt-Börnstein Database
400 volumes, 250,000 substances and 1,200,000 citations
- The complete Linus Pauling Files
A comprehensive database about the properties of inorganic solid phases, consisting of 255,000 documents
- A subset of the Dortmund Database of Software and Separation Technology
Covering the Thermophysical Properties of pure liquids and binary mixtures, with 425,000 data points
- An Adsorption database
covers over 1,000 reversible, equilibrium isotherms
- A Polymer Thermodyamics database
that contains 140,000 datapoints about 150 polymers
- 44,000 Chemical Safety Documents
REACH Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals, GHS Globally Harmonized System RoHS Restriction of Hazardous Substances, WEEE Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment
Watch this video to get a quick overview of the database, its searching capabilities and features. Of course, the best way to get started is to begin to use it!
JPL Library staff is working on either a in-person training session or webinars from the vendor. Please send your comments and questions to email@example.com
June 3rd, 2014
JPL Library recently added more than 300 electronic books from The Institute of Engineering and Technology, the major engineering and technology professional society from the Great Britain.
JPL Library has purchased books published between 2009 and 2014. These are also indicated with a purple opened lock to indicate availability. Older (pre-2009) books may be available as print copies, check the BEACON catalog to see if we have a copy availalbe. The major topics are listed below. Click on each link to access a list of books on that topic
June 3rd, 2014
High-resolution optical imaging and Optical rogue waves are two recent special issues published in Journal of Optics from the Intitute of Physics (IOP) and available to read now. Featuring high-quality invited articles, these special issues offer the latest developments across all areas of pure and applied optics.
IOP is expanding resource in optics, lasers and photonics research including a dedicated Photonics and Lasers IOP Subject Collection, a new Physics World special focus issue including coverage of the largest optical camera ever flown in space, and more than 305,000 articles.
All of the articles are available in both HTML and PDF formats. The PDF files can be downloaded and transferred to mobile devices for later reading. JPL Library staff is available to compile similar subject bibliographies. Contact the Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) or ext. 4-4200 for more information.