What are some of the significant developments and breakthrough in science and technologies in 2014? Here are a few summaries:
The JPL Library is happy to be a “Remote Viewing Site” for this year’s American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting. Between December 15-19, selected sessions will be streamed live from San Francisco. Here is the tentative schedule, check back as more sessions are added.
Monday, December 15
- 12:30-1:30 AGU Frontiers of Geophysics Lecture: featuring Dr. Jeffrey D. Saches, professor of economics, an expert in sustainable development, and author of several New York Times best-selling books, including Economics for a Crowded Planet (2008), and The Price of Civilization (2011).
Tuesday, December 16
- 12:30-1:30 AGU Presidential Forum will feature two speakers: transportation entrepreneur Robin Chase and Schmidt Family Foundation President Wendy Schmidt. Robin Chase is the founder of the largest car-sharing company, and recipient of several innovation awards. Wendy Schmidt is known for her work and advocacy in supporting renewable energy and wiser use of natural resources.
Wednesday, December 17
- 12:30-1:30 AGU session on General Building Resilient Communities featuring featuring former NASA astronaut and the current Under Secretary of Commerce and NOAA Administrator, Kathryn Sullivan.
Thursday, December 18
- 1230-1:30 AGU Union Agency Lecture will be given by Secretary of Interior, Sally Jewell, who is an expert on energy and climate issues.
This is the first time the JPL Library uses the Hub as remote viewing site for AGU Meetings. We would like to know your thoughts and experiences. Please leave your comments below, or contact the Library Reference Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext 4-4200.
Here is a short list of electronic books on MatLab and applications from JPL Library’s collections. Click on the title to read the book online.
- Introduction to Numerical Electrostatics Using MATLAB, 2014
- Power Electronic Systems : Walsh Analysis with MATLAB, 2014
- Computer-aided Control Systems Design : Rractical Applications Using MATLAB and Simulink, 2013
- Introduction to Finite Element Analysis Using MATLAB® and Abaqus, 2013
- Digital Filters:Principles and Applications with MATLAB, 2012
- Nonlinear Distortion in Wireless Systems:Modeling and Simulation with MATLAB, 2012
- System Identification:A Frequency Domain Approach, 2012
- Computational Fourier Optics: A MATLAB Tutorial, 2011
- Practical Image and Video Processing Using MATLAB, 2011
- Still Image and Video Compression with MATLAB, 2011
- MIMO-OFDM Wireless Communications with MATLAB, 2010
- Multi-Sensor Data Fusion with MATLAB, 2010
All ebooks can be accessed from within the JPL network, chapters can be downloaded and moved to mobile devices for later reading. All electronic books are for individual reading and use only, they cannot be transferred to other people. To recommend ebooks to JPL colleagues, please ask them to download their own copy via JPL network.
If you miss the webinar on November 18, “Insiders’ Tips with IEEE Xplore Digital Library,” you can watch the recorded session at your convenience from the following link:
Some of the tips discussed during the session are:
- What contents are available from JPL’s IEEE subscription
- How Google and Xplore work together
- Locate information on companies, or organizations using author affiliation
- Stay current by setting-up personalization in IEEE Xplore to use alerts and saved searches
- Find best papers by using “Sort by Most Cited”
- Advanced search: combining search by metadata and search by fulltext
JPL Library staff offer consultation and literature search services. If you want to discuss specific search techniques or have a library staff conduct a search for you, please contact our Reference Desk vis email: email@example.com or call us at ext.4-4200.